Caldillo with Cornmeal Doughballs Share this recipe
- Ready in: Approx 2.15hours
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- olive oil for frying
- 500g of beef spalebone (hand chopped into tiny pieces)
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 ancho chiles (soaked and scraped for pulp)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 or 4 jalapenos (chopped fine)
- 1 bottle of Negra Modelo beer
- Salt and pepper
- 500 mls of beef stock
Fry beef for 10 minutes until brown.
Add onions and garlic and keep frying.
Add tomatoes together with ancho pulp,
jalapenos, beer and stock. Simmer with
lid on for 90 minutes until meat is tender.
Season to taste. Top with water and stir
when needed. Dollop on 4 big cornmeal
dough balls and put the lid back on. Steam
for 15 minutes. Spoon the Caldillo into
bowls, a soupy stew is what you want.
Top with a big fat dough ball (see below).
Cornmeal Dough Balls
150g of plain flour
50g of masa harina
2 tsp of baking powder
salt and pepper
Sift dry ingredients. Rub in butter until it
looks like bread crumbs. Add milk, parsley
and seasoning to form thick sticky dough.